Sunday, October 2, 2011

It's Been A While

It's been well over a month since the last blog post, and I apologize for that. Since we got Freyja and decided to go full steam ahead with the house renovations, we have been very very busy. I won't have any pictures for this post but I will give a basic run through of everything we have been up to lately. It is my intention to write some more detailed/picture filled posts of our projects when I have some time, but we will see about that.

I finally finished the downstairs bathroom. It took 3 different kinds of primer and 329 coats of pink paint. Well, not really that many coats, but given the length of time it took to complete and the general never-endingness of it all I would say that number at least feels accurate. It was nothing short of an epic painting disaster that just about destroyed every last ounce of painting mojo and confidence that I had. Not fun. Now I am just slowly working on "finishing" the room with accents and flourishes here and there.

We finally ordered our new bathtub for upstairs! It was pretty nerve-wracking (at least for me) to be spending a big chunk of change on something we only saw pictures of online. When it came though, I couldn't have been happier. It is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! Glenn has done most of the gutting on the bathroom. I did help a little bit by removing a lot of the previous vinyl tiles. Ugh. So tacky. Now we have a chunk of floor missing, pipes exposed, a new tub, yet we still have that disgusting blue toilet. Glenn has been working pretty tirelessly (literally every free minute he has from the time he gets home until the time he goes to bed) and it definitely shows. We are hoping to have it done in a couple weeks, but we will see.

After 6 sample cans I finally chose a color for the guest bedroom. It happened to be an "oops" sample that was mistakenly tinted so I got it for 50 cents. Go figure. The poor guy at Lowe's had to color match it and it took him 3 tries before it looked right. I started edging the room and I plan on finishing it tomorrow. Our friend Ashley will be visiting us in about 2 weeks and she is staying with us so I need to get the room done pronto!

We purchased a piece of fencing from Lowe's that Glenn suggested would make a good headboard. We bought some stain and sandpaper and transformed it into something custom and beautiful. I think it will look really cool in the guest bedroom. Since the wall that the bed will be against is slanted the dimensions were really difficult and constraining but this fence was perfect! I am excited to see it all come together.

I finished painting the dining room and it looks stunning. I am SO IN LOVE with it! We had the hardest time picking out a paint color for this room. Glenn wanted something warmer that coordinated with the wood, but I really wanted high contrast. Since Glenn loves me so much and was probably tired of me showing him pictures of paint colors I liked online, we went with my inclinations. I had a very specific shade of teal in mind that was very difficult to pinpoint. I have a slew of paint swatches but nothing ever looked right. Finally we went to our local paint store, Parker Paint (I had a Groupon) and chose a color on the spot. Now that the walls are fully saturated in this gorgeous hue, I knew we got the color in my head spot-on. It looks absolutely amazing in contrast with our beautiful midcentury modern furniture. I can't wait to see what the room will look like when it is truly done and fully accessorized. As a side note, I think our awesome Seattle World's Fair art piece will be living in the dining room. It really comes to life and pops against the walls.

That pretty much sums up our projects for now. It's been a lot of grunt work for Glenn and painting, painting, and more painting for me. It's exciting watching things progress quickly but it sure is exhausting. On a different note, Freyja is doing wonderfully. Both she and Rally get along fantastically and they love to play together. Potty training sucks. She has found a green rug in the kitchen that she seems to think is her pee patch and she goes there when we aren't looking. Ugh. Other than that she is 3 weeks away from her last round of shots and she will be ready to brave the world on her own feet and not in her Momma's arms. I can't wait to take both dogs to the dog park. It will be fun. She is also growing well and is quite healthy and active. When we first got her she was 7 weeks old and weighed 2.2 pounds. Now she is almost 13 weeks old and over 10 pounds.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the cooler weather. I know I am! Call me a weirdo but the season change here along with the rain and requisite jacket in the morning makes me happy. I love the fog, the mist, and the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment