Friday, July 8, 2011

CSA Share Week 5

This week has been a little crazy for me, and that explains why all the blog posts are being lumped together today. I've been working the past three nights, so I haven't been able to keep up like I normally do. Anyway, as you can see, this photo is a little bit different because I was working and wasn't able to do my normal staged photo. Glenn of course was thoughtful and took the picture with his phone :o)

This week we have RAINIER CHERRIES!!!! We're so excited about that! We also have strawberries, eggs, a purple kohlrabi, summer squash, curly kale, spinach, snow peas, romaine, chives, and turnips. It's really nice to be seeing a more interesting grouping of our veggies and fruits now. So far the only plans we have for our stuff is to grill the summer squash. I haven't liked any kind of squash prepared any way so I am hoping that maybe grilling is the way to go. We've already had some of the kale and it was disgusting, but more on that next week.

Last week's share was pretty great. The eggs haven't been used yet, but Glenn and I enjoy having them hard boiled so that will probably happen with those. Besides, it is better to wait until they are older so they're easier to peel. I am getting really good at hard boiling eggs, almost to the point of perfection. The strawberries were good of course. The carrots are pretty sweet, much sweeter than carrots I have had before. I read somewhere that when carrots are grown in smaller quantities and in really good soil, they get quite sweet. I shredded a bunch of them last week, and a little bit of my finger as well. I'll probably eat the rest of them plain. All of the greens last week were really delicious. Nothing was too bitter, in fact everything was pretty mild. The snow peas were really yummy. We have these frozen Chinese dinners that are pretty short on veggies so we threw all of those in there and it definitely made it way better. We haven't tried the kohlrabi yet, but now that we have two of them I think I might try and make some sort of mash out of them. I've seen quite a few recipes for it that look good.

Hopefully we continue to have shares that are as yummy as last week's. We're still enjoying having a weekly grouping of farm fresh food, even if it does get a little overwhelming at times. It's always great to support your local economy and your local farmers!

No comments:

Post a Comment