Tuesday, July 12, 2011

CSA Share Week 6

I have to admit, I am getting more and more irritated over the increasing ambiguity in terms of labeling produce with our CSA share. Every week Glenn brings home our bounty and I inevitably hold up a bunch of greens banded together and I ask what it is. Every week the answer is the same, "I don't know. It just said greens." You can understand my frustration when I am trying to learn about new foods and I don't even know what I have! Then, to top it off we began the share with a weekly email at the beginning of every week that documented what we could expect to get that week along with a selection of recipes that correspond with our produce and a few other random notices about farm related things. It was nice. The last email was June 24. Not much I can do now.

Unfortunately this week my descriptions of the food we received are going to be pretty vague and/or my best guess derived from extensive (the first page of google images) research. This week's share contained another lovely batch of rainier cherries which are decidedly brighter and tastier looking than last week's. We also have eggs, raspberries (of which I already ate half), beets, and onion, shell peas, zucchini, red leaf lettuce, some other kind of lettuce, and some kind of greens. My preliminary review of the raspberries is that they are amazing and I cannot wait to grow my own if they will taste this delicious.

As for last week's share, we didn't do so hot. The curly kale was a disaster. We both truly hated it. Glenn usually eats anything and isn't nearly as picky as I am, but he flat our refused to eat any more of this stuff. It was disgusting in both flavor and texture. It also had a very dirty taste to it, and it wasn't from actual dirt. We use a salad spinner to give all of our greens a good thorough washing before we eat them. I actually didn't eat any of the cherries or strawberries from last week. Glenn enjoyed them. He finished off the rest of the strawberries tonight with his salad and they were so intensely red on the inside! They must have been awfully sweet. It was nice having snow peas around. I prefer snap peas, but snow peas are good too. We have these chinese meals that we make and it was a nice addition to put in a big handful of the snow peas. They were very crisp and yummy. The spinach and romaine were great as always. I would be happy if those were the only greens we got for the rest of the share! As for the kohlrabi, summer squash, chives. and turnips... we have yet to do anything with those. I found a recipe for a type of cole slaw using kohlrabi and apples so I think I might try to do that when I have time. The squash took a tumble or something because they look awfully pitiful and bruised up but I'm sure they taste just fine. We still need to grill those, but that will have to wait until Glenn fires up the grill for some chicken or something. Who knows if we will ever use the chives. I don't care for them, but if Glenn disguises them really well, I may not even notice! I'm still clueless on the turnips. Anyone have any ideas on what to do with turnips? Anyone??? Oh well.

So there you have it. Hopefully by this time next week we will have used up the remainder of both shares. We're starting to fall behind and the food is building up pretty quickly. I am normally a night owl and I feel like I have a ton of things to do right now, but I am way too exhausted so I am going to bed. I hope that everyone is doing well and that monsoon season is treating our Arizona friends and family nicely. Love to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment