Friday, July 8, 2011

My Thumb Is Getting Greener

After my successes with the plant I received as a gift while working at Sunnyslope (1 being keeping it alive for 2 years and 2 being that I transplanted it successfully) I decided that I would try my hand at some other plants. On our most recent trip to IKEA Glenn found these really cute pink buckets/pots and they looked perfect to plant something in. We bought 5 since they were only $1 apiece. Then they sat at home for a while.
Every time we went to Lowe's for some thing or another I would browse through all the pretty plants and wish that I could bring them home with me. I never did though, citing the fact that I didn't know what to plant or that I didn't have potting soil. Strangely enough, I was at a store where I could solve both problems. Go figure. The last time we went to Lowe's there were some really pretty Calla Lilies. I kept eyeballing them and as we were about to leave Glenn just told me to buy them, so I did! I brought the pink beauties home and admired them. Now I had a plant but no potting soil.

We didn't want to buy any potting soil at Lowe's because the city of Tacoma has an awesome program where they compost stuff from the city and mix it in with sawdust and other good for your garden stuff. They call it TAGRO, short for Tacoma Grow. It's really rich and nutrients and it doesn't stink either. Yay!

There is this really cool local garden/nursery in the nearby Proctor district called Garden Sphere that carries Tagro along with plenty of beautiful plants that are ideal for Tacoma. We also took a class about how to keep chickens there - very informative. Anyway, I couldn't resist picking up a couple more plants. After all, I did have 5 pots to fill.
My first choice was a tall salvia plant. They really are beautiful plants with plenty of green leaves and interesting stalks with white and purple flowers on them. They have lots of different varieties, but they do look very similar to lavender. Thankfully they don't have the same negative effects on Glenn as lavender does.
The other plant that I picked up was a vivid pink geranium. I have NEVER seen flowers so bright!!! They're practically neon pink with a lovely dark pink center. I just love their giant dark green leaves that have a tiny bit of fuzz on them. They really look fantastic in the pink pots.

Now all three pots live together outside on the deck. I've been keeping them on the little table in between our green chairs out front. Slowly but surely we are making our house look more like a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment