Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Funny Farm!!!!!!

I have literally been waiting the entire trip to go to this place. I had found it online a while back and I knew I had to go. This is basically just someone's farm and they decided to start keeping exotic animals such as camels, llamas, a bush baby, wallaroos, wallabies, kangaroos, a chinchilla, and a mammoth donkey and they offer tours. On the particular time we showed up on Friday, we were the only ones there. I was so lucky to get a private tour, especially because the morning tour had 30 people on it! I'm not sure I could have been any more excited. Off we go!Our first introduction was the Bush Baby. This little cutie was so adorable. His name is Binky and he was originally owned by some people who weren't prepared to own an exotic animal. Apparently, Bush Babies have a rather disgusting habit of relieving themselves into their hands and then fingerpainting on the walls. Ewww... Luckily the Funny Farm was prepared and took him in and gave him the love and care that he deserved. I actually gave him the banana that he is holding. Way too cute.Next up were the camels. They actually had two of them. One of them was a Dromedary, the kind with one hump, and this one was the Bactrian. Both of the camels were looking pretty scruffy and the owner explained to us that this was because at this time of year, they lose all of their fibers (hair) and all the new growth comes in. There were a couple trash bags full of their surprisingly soft hair. Unfortunately, this camel looks rather ridiculous without its usually long hair and the family so lovingly calls it the "Chemo Camel."As we were heading over to the llama corral, this one llama was standing in the middle of the walkway and kind of staring me down. As I started walking toward him he kept staring at me, and it kind of freaking me out, as you can see in the picture. I jumped aside just a little bit.The llamas were just so cute I couldn't get enough of them. If you tell them to give you a kiss, they will actually give you a kiss on the lips! It's hilarious! I was a little hesitant to do it, but I did do it oce, and this guy gave me a kiss shortly after this picture was taken. So cute!

Never one to pass up a photo opportunity, I posed for this picture and the llama decided to follow suite. Next we made our way over to Snowy, the Mammoth Donkey. She was a big girl! We actually met her before the tour and pet her a little bit, but now I was inside her pen. She was so adorable and absolutely loved all the attention. As we were walking over to her pen, the owner was just telling us about how funny her bray is and that she hoped she would, and sure enough she did. It was hilarious watching her get so excited. It was classic donkey noise, but at the end she always squeaked. She was such a sweetheart but at one point, when I wasn't paying attention to her, she head-butted my shoulder so I would pet her again. Too funny!After the donkey I got to feed the Wallaroos. Despite what their name sounds like, they are not a cross of a kangaroo and a wallaby, but are their own breed of kangaroo. There were two in this enclosure, a momma and daddy, and their names were Google and Yahoo. Funny. The momma wasn't too keen on coming near me because she had a little baby in her pouch that wasn't quite ready to come out. I could see its little tail and one of the legs sticking out. It was cool. The one I was feeding was Yahoo and he really enjoyed those Wheat Thins!Next we walked across to the Alpaca area. These two guys were so funy looking! They were pretty skittish but they look just like silly surfy boys with their long, wild hair. They didn't seem to like being touched but that was probably because they can't see who is touching them past all that crazy hair!The Alpacas shared an enclosure with a couple other llamas, a mom and her daughter. The daughter who I was petting in this picture was super sweet and she seemed to love being pet. I was of course happy to oblige!We then made our way over to the Red Kangaroos. There were three in the enclosure, and their names were Romeo, Juliet, and Bella. I think I was feeding Romeo in this picture because the other two are noticeably absent. This is because once he realized I was feeding the girls, he came over and pushed them out of the way! How rude! I still fed him anyway, like I was going to pass up that opportunity.I saved the best picture for last. As we were walking back to the gift shop, the owner told me that there was a surprise. Hmmmm, what could it be? I couldn't imagine anything cooler than I had just experienced until they brought out this adorable little munchkin! I was freaking out inside when she handed me this bundled up baby wallaby. He was such a cutie! I honestly felt like I was going to die from cuteness overload. I did't want to give him back. I thought about just making a run for it with him. Obviously, I didn't. She let me hold him for such a long time but it was super hard to let go. How awesome. I had such a fun time at the Funny Farm. I was so glad that we made the trip up to Monroe to come here. This was quite possibly the highlight of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment