Saturday, July 11, 2009

Reptile Zoo

I know Glenn posted a few pictures of this place with his phone, but I thought I would share some more along with some narrative. We needed to kill some time before we went over to the Monroe Funny Farm because they didn't start the next tour until 3. Glenn pulled into this place without me even noticing and then I got really excited. I just love animals and can't pass up any opportunity to check them out up close and personal. This place was... interesting. Some of the enclosures were nice, others, well not so much. It was also pretty stinky in there and extremely hot and humid. I guess that's the price you pay to hang out with reptiles. Well, that, and they 6 dollar cover charge.
The first little monster we came across was not little at all actually. It was an iguana, but he was a big huge iguana. I immediately thought of Jeff's iguana Tyrone. This one could probably eat Tyrone if he wanted. He was big. I don't think he was happy when I took this picture. He was puffing out his neck thingy. I think he was trying to scare me away.This was a big huge monitor. He was probably at least 5 feet long. They're known to be pretty mean and I'm sure they have a nasty bite. This guy was just lumbering around in his area until he decided he wanted to see what was happening outside. He just propped himself up with his very powerful looking tail and latched on to the window with his front legs. It was pretty funny and I got a kick out of it. I ran around to the other side of the window to get a picture from there, but I scared him and he jumped back down.Right outside of the building there is this open area where a bunch of turtles run around. I played with some of them and watched them move around rather quickly. I picked one up and for as small as he was, he was pretty heavy. Finally, we have this big bad boy. This yellow boa was so huge it was kind of scary. I made Glenn stand by the cage for comparison. Freaky, huh? There was another boa in there with him, but he wasn't nearly as big. I definitely enjoyed my time in this little place and it was a fun roadside attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment