Thursday, July 1, 2010

Olympia!

Well, our trip to the Olympia Farmer's Market happened over a week and a half ago and I am just now posting the pictures. We've already determined that I am a little bit lazy, so you can't say I didn't warn you. Anyway, a couple weekends ago we thought it would be fun to go visit last year's summer stomping grounds and see what they were up to. It turns out that they're up to about as much as we are, not much!
We decided to stop by the Farmer's Market and pick up some of our beloved giant asparagus, along with some apples.It's kind of amazing how many different kinds of apples there are. I swear, every time I turn around up here, I see a name of a new apple I had never heard of before. I found two of those at the market. One of them being an Opal Glow. They were so bright, they almost looked fluorescent! They were also really tasty. If you have never had the chance to eat one of these, they are moderately sweet with a subtle tartness. The fruit is really firm and crisp and the skin gives easily.
Another apple that caught our eye was the Pacific Rose. I didn't really like these ones. The skin was very resistant and bitter and the fruit itself was a little sweet, but mostly bland and kind of mealy.
I got a little sad when we walked by all of the beautiful green plant booths. I just wanted to take home every baby herb and vegetable and plant them right away. Unfortunately, when you don't have a yard or a proper window box, planting becomes fairly difficult.
Maybe one of the hardest parts of going to the Farmer's Market here is resisting the urge to take home a car full of potted flowers and hanging baskets! The colors in all of these plants is breathtaking! It must be really nice for people to be able to surround themselves in color when the skies are being a little too gray.
Glenn didn't know he was in this picture :o) I just love all the pretty wooden beams inside the market. The majority of this market is actually indoors and completely covered, so you can still shop when the weather isn't cooperating. It's a really cool atmosphere, kind of like a mini Pike's Place Market. If you ever get a chance to visit Oly, you'd be missing out if you didn't stop by here.

No comments:

Post a Comment