Thursday, June 17, 2010

Our New Bed!

As you probably already know, when we moved up here to Seattle, we didn't have a lot of time. We heard about Glenn's job offer on Thursday, June 3 and we were on the road by Saturday morning, June 5. He was due to start work on Wednesday, June 9 ( our anniversary!) Needless to say, we didn't have a lot of time to pack or make any real moving arrangements. We did our best to determine all the essentials and packed as many rolled up clothes as we could in our biggest suitcase. Since all of this was going in our tiny hybrid, you can probably figure out that there wasn't any room for furniture. When we finally picked the apartment we wanted to live in, we had to go out and find a bed, because I was NOT going to be sleeping on the floor.

After about three mattress stores we were getting really discouraged. Two grand for a mattress? Is it made out of cashmere? I don't think so. We decided our best bet, and most budget conscious choice, was to head over to IKEA. We wandered around the store for a few minutes before we found the right section and we began plopping ourselves all over the beds. We were pros at it by this point. The first one we laid on was our favorite. It was firm, but it gave in all the right places, and it was made of eco-friendly latex foam. Sweet! Next was a bed frame. There were a couple of really cool ones that we liked, but again, we were going for budget friendly here, so we found a nice modern looking one that suited both of our tastes. About 45 minutes later we had our items purchased and set up for at home delivery.

Well, let me tell you, the at home delivery sucked! They called first thing in the morning and told us they would be there between 3:52 and 5:52. Okay, not bad, only a 2 hour time frame. We waited and waited...and waited. Finally, they showed up sometime around 7:30. That was really frustrating, but I guess they got stuck in traffic or something. A courtesy call would have been much appreciated. After a trip to Target for some essentials, like bed sheets and pillows, I got to work on assembling the bed. Just me. All. By. Myself.
I'm quite fond of my cute little pink toolbox that Glenn got me for my birthday last year. It has come in handy many times and has helped me assemble quite a few pieces of IKEA furniture. I'm really becoming adept with tools.
Rally wasn't really pleased with me taunting him with the big boxes. He's still terrified of them. I wonder why? I guess me chasing him around with them on my head doesn't really make matters better :o)
I had to get creative with the awkwardly shaped boxes. They were a little difficult to open without all of the contents sliding out.
Luckily there were only 4 main pieces, so figuring out which pieces went where wasn't too difficult.
Once I got the frame all set up, things were starting to look up.
Unfortunately, there like a million different screws, and my tiny electric screwdriver was getting very tired, even when it was plugged in.
Bed frame assembled? Check! Stabilizing bars? Check! Now what?
The wooden slats. These were entirely too awkward. IKEA couldn't have packaged them any worse. Instead of making it so all I had to do was lay one down and unfold the rest, I had to unfold a few and then lay them down and repeat about 5 times.

Finally, it was all done. Now it was time to put the sheets on the mattress and make it look like a real bed.
Ta-Dah! I finished at around 11:30pm and I was tired. Let's go to bed.
Rally enjoys it too. Despite the fact that we devoted a fair amount of car space to bringing his nice fluffy bed, he spends most of his time lounging in the sun on OUR bed instead of his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment