Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Rainy Day Activity

It was actually raining this morning and I was really excited because I thought I would be able to wear my ridiculous see through plastic rain coat, but it was only a super fine drizzle that faded out within minutes. We didn't have a plan for today but then we decided that it would be a good idea to go and check out the wolf haven that I had spotted a sign for when we were driving. We grabbed our 2 dollar off coupon that I picked up in Tacoma and we were on our way to Tenino, WA which is only about 20 minutes from the house.Wolf Haven is a large preserve that has rescued over 100 different wolves from various circumstances including idiot private owners, zoos without adequate resources, research, and even accidents that resulted in injury. They have many wolves in their care but only a handful are able to be on the tour. The tour was about an hour long and during that hour we were given information about wolves and their lifestyle as well as stories from our guide about her own personal experiences with wolves.I thought this was a really cool place and I appreciated the respect that the workers here have for these beautiful animals and for animals in general. At one point during the tour, our guide explained to us that Seattle has been having a problem with geese and because of that, Wolf Haven had been "gifted" a bunch of geese that in turn became treats for the wolves. She just wanted us to be warned so we weren't startled when we saw a wolf playing with or carrying around his goose. It was actually really funny the way that the wolves seemed to be showing off their new acquisitions just by carrying them around for everyone to see. Thankfully we didn't see anything too nasty up close and personal. The picture above shows the wolf literally unhinging his jaw to pick up his massive goose. I thought it was pretty funny.They also had a couple of Coyotes on exhibit here and they were pretty funny. They are surprisingly playful and they were curious little guys. There were two of them in this enclosure and they were running around chasing each other and pretty much just showing off. I thought they were pretty cute. They were too quick for me to get a good picture of them.On our way home we saw a couple of cop cars with their lights flashing on the corner. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was a kid there in cuffs. The funny thing is, he was on a bike. Who gets arrested on a bike?!?! Idiot. I just thought it was funny and that I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment