Wednesday, June 17, 2009

With Weather Like This, Who Minds Yardwork?

It hasn't rained a single day yet nor has the temperature passed 80 degrees. It's so nice to be outside enjoying the weather instead of cooking to death in a giant open air oven. I decided to take advantage of this delightful weather and I was inspired while wandering the beautiful nearby Farmer's Market. One of the local nurseries had some happy looking snapdragons that I just couldn't resist. They were cheap too, only 2 dollars per 6-pack or 3 for 5 dollars. We bought 6 6-packs for a great deal of 10 dollars. We came home with my 36 new little plant babies and we got to work. When we first arrived at the house, it was pretty overgrown with weeds, but the owners mowed the lawn for us but left us the weeds. Yay. Glenn and I worked pretty hard to dig out all those weeds along the fence, but we finally finished. We added a little compost to the dirt, stirred it up and got it wet. Glenn helped me to space out the plants and pop them out of their containers while I dug the holes and planted each one of my little snapdragons. I actually had a lot of fun doing this, and it was really rewarding to see the pretty colors that instantly perked up the yard. We spent about 3 hours outside and I got soooooooo dirty. Apparently my face is a magnet for dirt. I suppose it doesn't help that I dug the holes with my bare hands (since it was easier) and wiped my face with my filthy hands from time to time. Rally wasn't much help, but he sure did look cute hanging out in the yard and wondering what we were doing.I was also bitten that day by the gardening bug and we went back to the Farmer's Market the very next day to get some more plants. This time we went to a different local nursery and I picked up a flat of impatiens that were on sale and 5 gardenia plants that were also on sale. Lucky me, it was actually the nursery's last day at the market so they were clearing out all their stock. We planted these along the long part of the fence that faces the street. In the pictures they were barely starting to bloom, but they should be pretty full and colorful any day now. I'm really discovering quite a love for gardening. I find it to be very relaxing and rewarding. Plus, it's nice to bring more life into my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment