Tuesday, August 9, 2011

An Art Project All His Own

Any idea what that is?

Slowly but surely we have started to fill the rooms in our house and make it look like people actually live here. One room in particular that has had a lot of life breathed in to it lately is Glenn's office. He chose a paint color for it quite a while ago; the same time I bought paint for my craft room actually. Problem is he chose two colors and wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I always told him that he could just tell me what he wanted and I would paint it for him while he was at work and he wouldn't have to do a thing. He just never told me, until recently.
He decided to just go with all over solid color and then if he felt like a stripe later on, well then we would do a stripe later. The color he picked is a stunning deep velvety gray by Valspar called Hematite. It is the darkest color on the same color swatch as my craft room color, Elephant Gray. I've been nervous about it for a while but as soon as I started edging the room I knew we were in business. It is the perfect color for this space.
As you can see in this picture, I am getting quite good at edging. I pretty much refuse to use tape anymore. No matter how bad I might be at edging, there is no way it could possibly get worse than what happened in my craft room. It's really very therapeutic actually. I just put on some music and start painting away, just me and the paint brush. As soon as I finished edging the room I messaged Glenn online and told him he picked an amazing color. It was going to look fantastic.
After we had moved everything back in the office and set it back up it looked like the walls needed a little something. "No worries," I said, "You have tons of scarves and a flag to hang up." We left it at that, satisfied that those items would fill the void. On one of our many trips to Lowe's (seriously it is so awesome living so close to one) we were in the electrical aisle buying outlets and switch plates and we spotted some crazy colored extension cords. One was bright green and the other was hot pink. We didn't really have the need for 75+ foot extension cords, but they were so cool! We grabbed them both and then I quickly put the pink one down. I didn't need it that much, and by that much I mean $50 much. Oh well. Right there in Lowe's we came up with a plan.
Glenn was going to make a wall art installation out of his extension cord. It would not only be beautiful but awesomely functional as well. We grabbed some wall fastener things for cable and left the store. He started by taping a random squiggly pattern on the wall. He asked me how it looked and of course I loved it. It was so fun! I was also super impressed that his crazy analytical mind was able to make something so completely asymmetrical and random. The tape had a tough time holding on though so the project was not going to wait overnight.
Using a level to roughly space the fasteners, Glenn began hammering away, making his wall installation permanent. It took a lot longer than you would think it would so I started helping, but not by much.
In the end, I think it really turned out great! It is so fun, unique, and so very Glenn. It looks awesome and it serves a purpose. I haven't really asked if he had fun doing it, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that he did have fun. Who knew extension cords could be so cool!?

No comments:

Post a Comment