Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ding Dong - Your Furniture Is Here!

Friday was quite the exciting day for us! A couple weekends ago when we went to Olympia and found a really great furniture store there called Furniture Works. They carry a really interesting mix of used, consignment, and new furniture pieces. We really just popped in to see what kind of stuff they had, and while at first we weren't super impressed, I later heard Glenn calling my name asking me if I liked something. Now, when I hear Glenn ask if I like something, it means he really likes it and he RARELY ever mentions liking anything so I come running. Sure enough, he found this absolutely stunning MCM buffet table/credenza. It had beautiful, simple lines along with amazing wicker front doors, leather door pulls, shelves and drawers inside, and a black laminate countertop - so indicative of that era. I was in love instantly, and obviously so was Glenn. We asked if they delivered and upon confirmation that they did we pulled that price tag right off. It was ours. Plus, it was a great price.
We also picked up another piece. I have been looking for a desk to refurbish for my craft room for quite some time. Nothing has really been eye catching enough for me. My biggest problem is that all the desks I truly like are MCM pieces with beautiful wood like Teak or Walnut. There is no way I can cover that kind of wood up with paint. I don't want any wood tones in my craft room so if I was going to get an MCM desk, the wood had to either be really ugly or in such bad shape that it couldn't be refinished. Lucky for me, this desk that we found had hideous wood! Who knew I could get so excited about a particularly ugly wood on an otherwise beautiful piece?! Since it fit my criteria, the desk was going along for the delivery ride as well. It was also a great price, and what made the price even better was that we got the awesome matching chair thrown in for free.
Not only did we get those two (technically three) pieces delivered on Friday but we also got our new couch!!!! We have been absolutely DYING for more seating for the longest time! Unfortunately we are extremely picky when it comes to couches. For starters, it absolutely positively MUST be modular. After having a modular couch, there is no way you can go back to something static. There couldn't be any heavy tufting, although if it were just me it would be all over the place. It also needed to be very heavy. We didn't want the pieces to slide apart from each other. Another huge rule for us is no leather. Yuck. We prefer microfiber for a number of reasons. We wanted a great color, and I was particularly looking at dark gray, Glenn didn't really seem to care. Finally we just wanted it to be modern and contemporary without looking overtly so, timeless if you will. We found the perfect sofa at Macy's. I'm pretty sure I was in love with it well before we got the house, but I knew it had to be ours. It's crazy comfortable and was pretty much exactly what we wanted. We let the idea of it stew and simmer for quite a while before we were certain it was the couch for us. We even measured!!!! We never measure anything. We tend to be impulsive and just make things work anyway. Obviously it was the perfect fit for us and we had it delivered Friday.

YAY! So many new things, it was like Christmas morning! If I get some more time I will do a more detailed post of all our new furniture. It was absolutely amazing how our house went from minimally bare to warm and cozy in a matter of hours. Now the whole family can sit down on the couch and relax together in front of the TV once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment