Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Month On the Job: A Review

It's been about a month since I first started my job at Next To Nature. You might be wondering how I like it and how it has been working out for us. Well, let me tell you!

The People: I work with some really great people. I feel totally comfortable around them and feel like I can be myself. The two managers have been with the company for a long time and are so knowledgeable about EVERYTHING that has to do with pet nutrition. They amaze me. Everyone I work with is kind, friendly, and fun to be around. Plus, we all seem to have a pretty good time together.

The Environment: Working at NtN is pretty low key. No one expects me to know everything about everything right away. It's also pretty low stress so learning things that seem complicated to me aren't overwhelming. I don't ever feel stressed on the job and I never have to worry about taking my work home with me, like I often have at other jobs.

The Schedule: I'll admit, scheduling hasn't been ideal. When I was given my initial schedule, I was less than thrilled. I was only working three days a week and I was working from either 11 or 12 until closing, which is 7. It kind of sucks to be home when Glenn is not and for him to be home when I am not. It was just a training schedule, so I was okay with that. Then I got what is considered our semi-permanent schedule. I was pretty much working the exact opposite of Glenn. I was really upset the day I got that and didn't really know what to do! They gave me a lot of hours, nearly full time, but that meant I would get to see Glenn for maybe 2-3 hours a day! Finally I just decided to be assertive and let my manager know that the schedule was not going to work for me and could we work anything out to make it better. Through the kindness of my coworkers, shifts were moved around and we came to a compromise that, I think, made everyone happy. Phew!

The Discount: Yeah, I get an employee discount and it is pretty awesome. Just another excuse to spoil the puppy!

Overall, you can tell I really like my job. I may not be full time, but that is okay. It gives me lots of time to work on the house and do errands/chores/etc. It is really nice to be doing something productive again and getting out of the house. I feel like I have it pretty nice. I'm a lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment