Tuesday, June 14, 2011

CSA Share Week 2

Here is a look at this week's share. Like last week, our share included apples, asparagus, rhubarb, spinach, baby garlic, eggs, and bok choy. Our new additions for this week were pea vines, arugula, baby lettuce, and strawberries. We did not get the romaine, mustard greens or radishes from the previous week. I have to be honest... when Glenn brought home all the goodies and he set the strawberries on the counter I immediately washed them and ate pretty much the entire basket. I think I may have left him a few. They were soooooo good! There is nothing quite like a juicy ripe strawberry picked fresh off the vine just hours previously.

Doesn't it all look so pretty? It's really fun to get a surprise every week in terms of produce.

Now to my review of last week's share. We both really enjoyed having such a large amount of greens in the house. We actually had a salad with dinner a couple nights! We even purchased a salad spinner from Macy's (Martha Stewart of course) and it has been totally worth every penny!
Glenn really loved the mustard greens, but I was not such a fan. They are slightly bitter and have a very spicy bite at the end. The spinach was good, but a little wilty. The romaine was absolutely delicious! I was disappointed it wasn't in this week's share.

The rhubarb has remained untouched because I was saving it in hopes that we would get it again in this week's share and I would have enough to make a compote. The eggs have not been used yet because we had a surplus but I will be turning them into egg salad tomorrow. Glenn said that the apples were pretty good but a little small for his taste. We haven't touched the radishes. They scare me, but I will figure out a way to try them. The asparagus we just had with dinner tonight and they were really really good. Such a big flavor compared to the stuff we normally get. Then there is the bok choy. I believe that I like bok choy (I've had it in quite a few Asian dishes) but I am not sure what we can do with it here. We have double the amount now so I guess we better try to stir fry it or something. Our very favorite thing has been the baby garlic. Instead of having to peel the clove like normal garlic and then dice up the insides, all you do with this stuff is give it a good whack and it breaks open to reveal tiny bits of garlic already broken up for you! It has a great flavor and it breaks down a little better when cooked so it doesn't have that harsh flavor when you bite into a piece. Great stuff.

So far, we are really loving having a guarantee of fresh produce every Tuesday. It's great to get a little more healthy foods into our diet and it is also great to be supporting our local farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment