Tuesday, June 28, 2011

CSA Share Week 4

This week is much more my speed. We have such a lovely, colorful grouping of food this week! I hope the rest of the shares start looking like this.

We have Green Leaf Lettuce, Eggs, Strawberries, Spinach, Carrots, Snow Peas, Kohlrabi, and some green that was not labeled. We have a pretty hefty portion of spinach this week, so that means extra salads! Good thing we picked up more salad dressing at WinCo. If you've never been to a WinCo, I am sad for you because I just went for the first time ever this weekend and it was awesome! I had so much fun there. Anyway, the strawberries were really fragrant this week, I smelled them as soon as I opened the bag so they must be good. We're excited to eat everything this week, we've been dying for some peas of some sort. We didn't know what kohlrabi was so I googled it and found out that it is similar in taste to the stalk of broccoli. I guess we'll steam it like broccoli and see how that goes.

I was excited about the carrots because I really like them in my salad so I started shredding a handful of them with my Microplane grater. Stupid thing is so sharp that I cut my finger without even realizing it. Unfortunately I took a chunk out of the middle of my fingernail and even got down to the skin. It's finally stopped bleeding, but now it actually hurts. Ugh.

Last week's share was pretty small, but I'm actually kind of glad it was. We've been a little overwhelmed with how much there is and we don't actually use everything before it goes bad. Bok Choy unfortunately went to waste. We just never got around to using it for a stir fry. It's hard when you're trying to use up everything else in the mean time! All of the greens were put to good use. Thankfully we can manage to use all of those. The chard was pretty good, but I'm not sure what the big deal is about it. I see lots of people rave about it on food blogs, but it just tasted like a slightly bitter spinach to me. The spinach was good as always, and I liked the baby lettuce. It had a very velvety texture almost like butter lettuce. Although last night when I was washing it to eat I found two snails! We didn't eat the parts they were on. The turnips haven't been used yet and neither have the chives. I'm not a chive person so we'll see. What do you do with turnips? I know that Billy Currington says you eat the greens in one of his songs. The eggs got used in waffles this week and then I think I will hard boil the rest. Lastly is the strawberries. Delicious. Apparently strawberries grown here are much softer than the ones grown in California so they don't last as long, but they sure do taste much sweeter than their CA counterparts. They got eaten very quickly, long before they had a chance to spoil.

So that is it for this week's CSA post. Tomorrow Glenn is taking me to the Britney Spears concert and I am super excited (he is not, however.) I won't have any pictures from it because apparently cameras are not allowed. Oh well. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer and that the Arizona heat isn't too bad for our Arizona friends and family. Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment