Thursday, June 30, 2011

An Evening With Britney Spears

Now, I didn't actually interact with Ms. Spears but I sure did get to watch her up close! I have been a Britney fan ever since she burst onto the scene with "Baby One More Time" in '99. I even remember asking my mom to buy me the CD while she was out, and she did, and I listened to it nonstop while we were painting a room in our old house. Anyway, I loved her then and I still love her now, even through all the craziness.

I spent most of the day doing whatever it is I do all day and listening to the most recent Britney Spears album "Femme Fatale" on repeat. I really do love this album, I think it's her best yet despite what my mom says ;o) When Glenn got home we fed the dog and left shortly after to go eat at the Harmon. The food there was really good, I had crab mac and cheese. YUM. We had paid for an hour of parking, a whopping one dollar bill, and so anything after 6 was free. After dinner we jumped on the streetcar (or whatever you call it) and headed over to the Tacoma Dome.

It wasn't too crowded yet so we were able to get through the merchandise line pretty quick. I got a t-shirt that I thought was pretty cute, and not obnoxious. After that we walked over to the customer service area because the ticket checker told us to. Since the show was not a complete sell out they decided to close off the upper level, where I bought tickets at about $30 each. The cool thing about this was now that our seats were basically non-existent, we were getting upgraded. How upgraded you ask? Well, instead of being on the upper level, far end of the dome, we were moved to practically floor level, 6th row on the left of center section. I kept asking Glenn as we were getting closer and closer to the floor if he was SURE these were where our new tickets said we were. I have NEVER been that close to Britney Spears and it was awesome. I checked to see what comparable tickets in that area would normally cost... about $150-200!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?! We got a serious upgrade and I was in heaven.

The first opening act was a girl duo from Australia called Nervo that basically just did DJ stuff. They were pretty good, and I enjoyed their music.

The second opening act was a girl and a couple guy dancers called Jessie and the Toy Boys. She was pretty much just a Britney Spears/Lady Gaga wannabe, but not the worst thing I ever heard.

The third opening act was the worst thing I ever heard. Nicki Minaj is a pretty popular (right now) female rapper. She was on for 45 minutes and I literally hated every second. Her show was cheesy and gimmicky, her dancers were all over the place, and her music is terrible. I was so glad when it was over.

About 45 minutes after the opening acts, Britney Spears took to the stage and owned it. She is such a fun performer to watch. She had a really varied setlist, taking tracks from every album since the beginning of her career and putting some fun twists on the classics. She even did a Madonna cover at one point and a cover of a popular Rihanna song. The show itself really was spectacular. The set was big, bright and elaborate. She had a bunch of costume changes that allowed us to watch clips of the ongoing storyline. It was like if Britney Spears did an episode of 24. I really enjoyed the lights and the pyrotechnics of this tour, they were way more a part of the show than they have before. Obviously, I really enjoyed the show. I had a blast. What made it even more special was that I had to have Glenn by my side and he actually seemed to be enjoying himself too. Aside from that awful Nicki Minaj crap.

Love to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment