Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CSA Share Week 3

This week's CSA share was a bit on the small side. Glenn picks up our share on his way home from work so he gets to make all the judgement calls as to what comes home or not and I definitely think he made a good call this week. Apparently the majority of the share involved extra portions of the greens we were already getting so he chose not to take more than one portion each. There is no way we would be able to go through that many greens with just the two of us. At least we got double the strawberries this time. Yum.

In the share this week we got spinach, turnips, chives, romaine, bok choy (we've got to stop bringing this one - we already have more than we know what to do with!) strawberries, eggs, and another type of green that I am unsure of (they weren't labeled but I'm guessing chard of some type - I will update if I find out for sure).

We enjoyed last week's share for the most part. The spinach was much better this week. There was no wilting going on and it had a great flavor. The asparagus was really delicious, especially because Glenn grilled it on his new BBQ. The stalks were like three times the size of the week before though, it was weird.
I finally turned all the rhubarb into a compote. It's really yummy and I got it to the consistency of jam so I think I might try it on some toast tomorrow. The eggs were so delicious in the egg salad I made, although one egg did go into making brownies. I'll be making the egg salad again this week because it is just so good for lunch. As I mentioned last week, the strawberries were delicious and I gobbled them all up immediately. The baby lettuce was pretty good and fairly mild tasting but it did have a little bit of a bitter aftertaste on the dark colored leaves. I didn't eat the arugula because I despise it, so Glenn bit the bullet and ate that in his salads. He doesn't mind it. The pea vines did not get used. They dried up before we could figure out what to do with them. Same goes for the radishes. Bummer. The apples were the same as the week before, maybe a bit larger. The bok choy is still sitting in the refrigerator, waiting to go in a stir fry. That's all I can think of to do with it! Finally, the baby garlic is still a favorite in our house. We just love it.

That's all for this week's CSA blog post. If anyone has any ideas about preparations for anything, please feel free to share.

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment