Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Moving Day and Other Things

Wow, what a weekend/week this has been! I got back from a wonderful trip in Phoenix that I was able to share with plenty of my friends and family last Tuesday. Immediately after I began packing the remnants of what was left in the apartment in preparation for our move that weekend and to get ready for our final checkout which was scheduled for the following Tuesday.

On Friday morning Glenn and I packed a bunch more stuff in the car to take down to the house to lighten the big load on Saturday morning. We did a few errands around Tacoma before deciding that we should probably reserve our U-Haul for the next morning. Last minute, I know. Wouldn't ya know that with it being a beautiful holiday weekend, everyone else is moving too! Our pickings were real slim. Anything we could get on Saturday morning would have to be back within two hours. That wasn't gonna happen. Our next best option was to just take the U-Haul home that night and have it back by 10:30 the next morning. It wasn't ideal at the time but it turned out to be quite the blessing in disguise. When we returned to Seattle we parked the U-Haul outside the apartment and decided we might as well start packing now. Of course we didn't imagine it would take as long as it did. After a few hours of hard work late at night we got everything loaded into the truck except for our mattress and TV.

The next morning Glenn called Janke and asked him to come over a little earlier, like 8:30, so we could pack up the TV in his car and go. I was absolutely terrified that something was going to happen to the TV. There was NO WAY it was going in the truck. It was too expensive for something catastrophic to happen. Janke showed up, he's such a good friend, and we made our way out to Tacoma.

With Rally, me, and Glenn all packed on the bench seat in the truck we had an interesting but surprisingly short ride to Tacoma. We immediately started unpacking and Janke arrived about 15 minutes after us. About 30 minutes later, everything was out of the truck so the boys took the U-Haul back. From start to finish that morning, everything only took an hour and a half. Amazing. Then we went out for a nice fatty breakfast to fuel us for the remainder of the day.

Ever since we moved in I have been cleaning everything in sight. Who knew I could be such a neat freak. It's really that I just can't stand being around/in someone else's dirt. My own is just fine, thank you. I'm a little embarrassed that cleaning has worn me out so much! So far I have vacuumed, mopped and semi-dusted the living room and dining room. I vacuumed the stairs and the carpet in the upstairs hallway. It was really gross looking when we moved in but after one pass of our AMAZING vacuum, they look halfway decent! I mopped our bedroom so I could reassemble the bed, but that's as much cleaning as I have done upstairs. Yesterday I decided to take the vacuum out to the atrium and I clogged it up twice! There was so much dirt/grime/hair out there that when it was all clean it literally looked like a different room! I seriously cannot get over how amazing our vacuum is though. If you need a new vacuum, I HIGHLY recommend the Electrolux Nimble.

Anyway, today was my biggest cleaning project yet. After the refrigerator recycle guys hauled away that stinky old fridge and gave me a fun box full of CFL bulbs, an aerator, and a water saving shower head I started to tackle the kitchen. Other people's kitchen dirt really grosses me out, so there was no way I was just going to lay down some shelf liners and call it a day. I scrubbed the inside and outside of every last cabinet and drawer. I even managed to clean the very very top of them. Things got real interesting when I had to straddle the stove. Now everything is shiny and clean and I am happy and exhausted.

Cleaning is pretty much all I can handle right now with the house. I really want to start tackling other projects like painting and finishing the disaster zone in the living room that Glenn and Janke started while I was gone (more detailed post with pictures coming soon) but I think cleaning has to be the first priority. It's always good to start with a clean slate, right?

I guess tomorrow will involve vacuuming and mopping the remaining rooms upstairs and hopefully I can Windex all the windows tomorrow. I just noticed today that the previous owner's dog must have been about the same size as Rally because when they stand on their back feet with their front feet on the window sill, their wet noses get all over the exact same location on the window. Fun.

I promise the updates will come a little more frequently when I am not using someone else's unsecured internet connection. Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment